• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 6, 2021

    Everquest Thought I would share how old I was

    Everquest Thought I would share how old I was


    Thought I would share how old I was

    Posted: 06 May 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    Share your earliest Everquest memories

    Posted: 06 May 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    People who started in 1999 especially, what are some things that have always stayed with you? Everquest was so immersive back then. It wasn't about specifically trying to do anything in particular but rather about running around - **adventuring** - and feeling like you WERE in a fantasy World and discovering new places and new people and new things to fight and new items/abilities. The visual and aural design of the game had so much *character* to it. The danger level of the game was very high and because death was so troublesome (significant exp loss + MUST get your corpse back), it raised the stakes and made this virtual World seem that much more real.

    The first character I made when starting was a Barbarian Shaman. I remember scouring the internet for information from the beta testers about all of the different classes and I eventually narrowed it down to wanting to be either a Necromancer or a Bard or a Shaman (Druid was in the back of my mind as well). I'm all about caster classes and these ones seemed to have the most versatility. When the fateful day came that I got the game, created my account, and logged into the character selection screen for the first time, I finally decided to make a Shaman after a great amount of inner debate. It was like picking between children. I decided I didn't want to run the risk of being evil in the game, so that dissuaded me from picking Necromancer (and meant had I to pick Barbarian if I wanted to be a Shaman), and although Bards seemed so unique and cool they weren't a "real" caster.

    To be honest, I didn't absolutely love the game at first. Part of that was because I was a very active MUD player and, even though I had been drooling about Everquest for months, I immediately felt like I was neglecting my MUD games when I started putting time into Everquest (off chance, did anyone here ever play *Mudgik: The Gathering of Heroes* ???). The other part was because the game simply isn't all too exciting at first, understandably. You had to run around your home city trying to find your trainer, and then killing the "lawn trash" monsters right outside of your home city isn't instantly captivating.

    However, as soon as I started exploring outward more I became hooked. The first zone Barbarians get to adventure into, Everfrost, is something of a maze (of frozen mountain walls) and you can easily get lost. Combining that with the lack of night vision Barbarians suffer from, and the large amount of monsters in the zone which will attack you on sight, created an incredibly pulse-pounding environment. I remember constantly fearing for my life at every corner I turned when I wasn't with a group, wondering if I was going the right way and/or if something would suddenly jump me. When I did see monsters coming in the distance that I knew would kill me (either because there were too many or they were too powerful), I would very carefully run the other way or sit still and wait for them to pass before proceeding.

    There is one such monster in this newbie area of Everfrost call "The Soloist". He was a skeleton who was the highest level monster in the area and also overpowered for his assigned level. The Soloist would attack everyone on sight and was known by everyone in the area as a killer of all the lower level players. People would cower and run in fear when they saw him and "trains" would frequently be created by players who tried to run away from The Soloist back to the guards of the city; as they ran away with no thought in their mind except getting directly back to the guards, they would get the attention of other monsters who would also start chasing them a crazed line. Later on in the game, when you got to a higher level and/or were grouped with enough other decently leveled players, it was an overwhelmingly proud accomplishment to be able to kill The Soloist.

    I eventually ventured out from the mountain maze area of Everfrost and came upon a vast tundra marked by several notable ditches. This wide open expanse of frozen terrain was filled with orcs, snow leopards, and mammoths (of multiple sizes). It became a common area to group up with people and kill the monsters here that were higher level and very dangerous. The small mammoths were especially fun to hunt if you had enough strong people in your party, as even the small ones were quite large and made very interesting attacking motions and noises when you would fight them. Since I was a Shaman, higher level Warriors would let me group with them for my healing capability and I was able to find groups when I was as low as level 5!

    I was having tons of fun and could have stayed there and kept adventuring out into the tundra even more but it was at that point when someone guided me to the neighboring (but relatively difficult-to-find, considering it was at the end of the mountain maze of Everfrost) dungeon of BLACKBURROW. Up to this point in the game, I hadn't seen many non-Barbarian players. Everfrost was a very secluded zone and it was mostly just other Barbarians whom you would find there. In Blackburrow there were suddenly many other different classes and types of humans. I even saw a gnome one time who commanded a fiery creature and I marveled at the power he had to kill the gnolls in Blackburrow all by himself.

    This was a very exciting dungeon, not only to explore but also because of how kinetic and dangerous it was. The top area of the dungeon was actually outdoors and there was a giant open pit that you could fall into if you weren't careful. There were constantly people coming and going and there were frequently gigantic trains where players would bring up gnolls from the depths of the dungeons as they tried to flee for the zone line to safety. It definitely taught you more about how to pull, how to avoid trains, and how to work together as a team. The times when your team would suddenly be confronted with more gnolls than you were prepared for and be able to defeat them was such a gratifying feeling.

    While gaining several more levels in Blackburrow, I still ran back to my home city of Halas when I needed to sell/buy things. Eventually I decided to travel further out from the other side of Blackburrow and made my way to the western human city of Qeynos. This area was a wonderful departure from everything else I had seen up to that point in time. To begin with the surrounding areas were BRIGHT green (when it wasn't nighttime LOL), which was a big change from the frozen blues of my starting area and the browns of Blackburrow. As I got into Qeynos and wandered around, I loved the multitude of different colors that characterized the city and all of the different buildings. It seemed like a vast city and yet again you could get a bit lost and become confused about exactly where you were and how to get back to the entrance. Over time you would naturally memorize landmarks and be able to guide yourself around. Not having automatically-included digital maps in EQ back in the day was VERY important for why the game was so immersive. Years down the road when you could simply click a button and see where you were, it broke the illusion of being a part of that living, breathing World.

    I met people who took me to Western Karana, a giant grassland with all kinds of different things to hunt. There were several spots filled with bandits and they were especially great fun to fight, not only because of the unpredictability of other bandits that would wander by, but also because they dropped these red sashes that you could turn in at the Paladin guild in Qeynos for a good amount of cash + extra exp. Between hunting different things in East Karana and going back to Blackburrow (or even the Everfrost tundra occasionally) I got to level 17 on my Shaman. I started to become jealous of other casters, though. I liked their roles more; they did so much more damage! I remembered back to that Gnome Magician I saw in Blackburrow during one of the first times I was there (the only time I had ever seen a Gnome thus far in the game) and decided that's what I wanted to be.

    After I rolled a Gnome Magician of my own and got to Level 4, there was no turning back. I was absolutely in LOVE with being able to summon and command an elemental pet around. Between the pet and my nukes, I did far more damage than anyone else of my level (although from levels 12-15 I was *slightly* jealous of Wizards because they got a much more powerful nuke during those levels and their burst DPS was pretty awesome). If my Shaman had gotten a pet I would have stuck with that character, but Shaman didn't get pets until level 34. And thus my love for the Magician was born. Having all those colorful elemental pets was such a delight. I'm sure the contrast between characters made me love my Gnome Magician that much more. Going from a big Barbarian Shaman who had healing and buffs but only average damage output and then going to this tiny (in stature) character who did tons of damage and conjured pets even bigger than he was...sweet!

    The different locales were a good change of pace too. The areas of Steamfont, the Faydarks, and Butcherblock that my Gnome Magician grew up in were completely different from the areas my Barbarian Shaman grew up. I also saw a ton of Elves and short people (Dwarves and Gnomes) instead of Barbarians/Humans/Erudites. The outdoor lower-level dungeon of CRUSHBONE over in that area of the World had a distinctly different feeling from Blackburrow too. These details of the game drew me into it even more and again furthered that feeling of you truly existing in a living, breathing Fantasy World. The Wood Elf city of Kelethin in Greater Faydark was freaking TO DIE FOR. I loved the design and music there. I was playing the game so much that summer of 1999, eventually getting my Magician to Level 50 later in the year, there's many other tales to share, what are some of yours?

    submitted by /u/Zuranthium
    [link] [comments]

    [Custom EQ Server] A new but familiar Everquest Experience

    Posted: 06 May 2021 10:45 AM PDT

    Clumsy's World: Resurgence is a semi-custom EQ server that has an amazing mix of new and old. You get the EQ experience that we all love, with some exciting new content/features! Come get settled and prepare for the upcoming launch of Velious (Saturday 8 May, 2021!) and all of the custom content that is coming with it!

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The Lore:

    What the players know, as of Velious, is that Kerafyrm was the illegal child of two opposing elemental dragons, creating a powerful prismatic dragon. Kerafyrm rose quickly to great strengths, becoming an exceptional general, but developed an insatiable hatred and blood-lust. Because of this he was seen as a threat by the Council of Elders and Veeshan sentenced him to death. An acquaintance of Kerafyrm's decided instead to lock him away in a prison, known as Sleeper's Tomb.

    During his rise to power Kerafyrm acquired many followers; they were known as Ancients. Who are they, what were their motivations, and what would become of them if the Sleeper were ever set free?

    Clumsy's World: Resurgence dives straight into the world you remember and expands on the stories of the Ancients and follows the Resurgence of Kerafyrm. Come join us as we embark on this journey.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Discord: https://discord.com/invite/3wkzwwc

    Website: http://www.clumsysworld.com/

    Video: Server Video

    Come join the fun!

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Features:

    • No Tutorial
    • Experience rates tailored to favor groups over solo play
    • Heavy server-wide tuning of difficulties and mechanics (most raids can be done with 3-4 groups)
    • Heavy server-wide tuning of class balance, pet balance, and more
    • Nerfed/Removed Items Reintroduced to the game
    • Removal/Repurposing of Out-of-Era items
    • Raid Instancing
    • Modified Loot Tables
    • Scions/Boats replaced with Translocators
    • Content-locked at Classic-Velious (Velious launches 5/8/2021)
    • Quality of life improvements like Extended Targeting and Click-from-bag
    • Experience Loss & Corpse Retrievals
    • The Ancients: Completely Unique Group/Raid Encounters
    • Custom & Revamped Dungeons
    • Upgradeable Armor, Weapons, Accessories, and Charms
    • No Required/Recommended Levels
    • Majority of items are droppable (FV-style)
    • Hub Zone with Quest NPCs, Progression Trackers, Translocators, Soulbinder, Corpse Summoner, and more
    • City <> Hub, Hub <> City Translocators
    • Spellscriber: Complete quests to gain access to more powerful spells & disciplines
    • Custom Kunark Gear Sets for Int Casters & Monks
    • Revamped Statistics and Restrictions on certain items
    • Various Custom NPCs/Quests/Items added to the existing world
    • Challenge Encounters that test player's coordination and endurance in difficult wave/ring style events
    • Additional Race/Class Combinations
    • Pets can tank and hold aggro
    • Cultural armor is craftable
    • Alchemy Distillates and Potions
    • Mentoring system (delevel)
    • Custom Bazaar
    • Custom Raid Leader tools (Ready Check, Raid Announcements, NPC marking, etc)
    • Active server development (Multiple server developers actively engaged in the project!
    submitted by /u/Dermia
    [link] [comments]

    Complete the 4 Box. War/bard/shaman/ + ?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 10:45 AM PDT

    I was thinking berserker. What would be the best class to round this out?

    submitted by /u/ChiefSteeph
    [link] [comments]

    New Chat Window keeps disappearing

    Posted: 06 May 2021 04:21 AM PDT

    It sometimes just disappears randomly in game, but it also disappears pretty much every time I load the game. I've put on *lock and taken off escape to close. It wasn't doing this in full screen mode but it does this on my laptop(which has a tiny screen) and it also does this in windowed mode. Anyhow I was wondering if anyone had maybe some UI edits I could do to ensure this doesn't do that.

    submitted by /u/liquidrainbowxx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment