• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 5, 2019

    Everquest Planes of Power is my favorite expansion in any MMORPG. I wish there was more like it.

    Everquest Planes of Power is my favorite expansion in any MMORPG. I wish there was more like it.


    Planes of Power is my favorite expansion in any MMORPG. I wish there was more like it.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 02:21 AM PST

    TL;DR I love Planes of Power and just want to celebrate with a word bomb. I apologize.

    Back before TLP servers became a thing, I always thought my constant craving to go back in time and play Planes of Power again was just nostalgia goggles butting in. It was definitely my favorite era of oldschool EQ, and I raided through all of velious to GoD back then.

    Fast forward to the TLP spam era, and I usually hop in at launch, glaze over for classic, quit in kunark, then come back for the end of Luclin and get absolutely 100% addicted to PoP. Everything about the expansion just hits all my "this is the best thing ever" buttons. There just isn't anything as epic feeling as this in any other MMO, and I've played countless. I've done it on almost every progress server with Selos being the most recent. Definitely looking forward to it on Mangler. What sets it apart?

    Progression: People piss and moan about it's confusing flag system, but that's usually fixed in 20 minutes of running around. I've done it different ways every time, hardcore racing raiding guild and slow casual guild being the usual polar opposites. Unlocking each plane one after the other just feels awesome. There is so much to do and progress through. Getting hyped up to finally break into BoT for ornate stuff and tower minis in a casual guild. Small force casual raiding is by far my favorite way to experience it, as the drops in each zone becoming increasingly more valuable. Even battling it out with other guilds in storms early on is a blast.

    LOOT:

    Killing BoT tower minis, farming ornate, doing all the weird side bosses no one bothers with. Even running around Plane of Earth and fire and decking everyone out in random named mob gear. This era just does such a good job of making loot interesting. It really is the last of them too, as SoE implemented their seemingly random stat assignments and values going forward into GoD. Loot just gets ridiculous after PoP. It's so valuable in era.

    EPIC Feeling:

    You are fighting the GODS on their home planes. It's an absolutely awesome experience to take on such a huge amount of iconic EQ bosses. All of them have completely custom models and animations. From taking out Terris Thule early on to tackling Xegony in all her floaty 2000's pointy supermodel glory.

    LOADS of Content:

    Has any expansion since had this much content? In Kunark we had a few dragons, Venril, and Overking. In Velious we had a better chunk with Kael, Sleepers, and ToV. But Pop shoots it into overdrive. There are so many encounters spread throughout it's huge amount of zones. So many little ring events and mini bosses to go with each zone's major boss. Then you break into the elemental planes and have 4 gigantic raid zones filled with events and bosses to tackle followed by one of the most epic final raid runs in any EQ expansion. The amount of content is just staggering. My recent selos run had a casual guild that did all of it, from the weird Plane of Storms bosses no one bothers with to the actual progression mobs. They packed PoP to the brim with shit to do. Expansions following it just have such a tiny amount in comparison.

    The Music

    A score I still don't get sick of revisiting from time to time. Plane of Knowledge and Tranquility are masterfully crafted to really be those relaxing hubs that you go to after barely surviving on Rallos or the marathon that is Rathe Council. You visit a plane and it perfectly sets the mood for what you just stepped into. There isn't an MMORPG out there that I love the music as much for.

    The zone design

    I don't know what it is about expansions later in EQ, but they just feel so empty. Big empty hills with nothing going on. PoP zones are absolutely packed with stuff everywhere, and they aren't small zones by any means. A Sol Ro tower raid the first time stepping in there can take all night, and it's just one of several big raid zones. I've been chugging along on selos, and a single PoP big raid zone is as big as all the raid zones combined in some of these expansions. They are also so completely different. From the dark and dangerous Plane of Nightmares to the meandering platforms of Plane of Torment and the glorious looking halls of honor, it's something that barely happens in other expansions.

    The multi-zone quests

    Getting your clockwork talisman, combat manuals, or secret of the planes done takes you all over the place. They are almost mini epic quests in themselves. I've even bombarded the Aid Grimmel crafting quest once even though I despise crafting, and it felt like such a huge accomplishment. I love that there is just so much to do and collect here.

    Anyway, I could go on forever about PoP. There will never be another expansion so packed with epic content again. I'll do it again on Mangler, and I'm sure whatever progression server after that will claw me back in for another round.

    submitted by /u/Vokslap
    [link] [comments]

    Does buying the new expansion come with a month subscription?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:42 PM PST

    Just getting back into the game after a long time and I see there is a new expansion coming out...I haven't yet paid for a subscription and was wondering if I bought the new expansion would I get the month too or do I have to pay that separate?

    submitted by /u/GB570
    [link] [comments]

    Ranger SK or Warrior 4-box Mangler

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 05:19 PM PST

    Hey everyone,

    Playing on Mangler currently and running Enchanter Cleric Bard and Ranger. The idea being that the enchanter pet would tank and the ranger would be the back up when charm breaks.

    I have two young kids so my goal is to be able log on and tackle group content after my kids go to bed without having to wait for other to group.

    I really like grouping with others so when that's possible I bring the class that fits in the group.

    I'm worried I am going to want a real tank rather then a ranger at some point so before I go to deep into expansions I want to make the real tank if it's needed. What do you guys think? Ranger SK or Warrior for the 4th?

    submitted by /u/OverlordGenord
    [link] [comments]

    Building new game community <Dream Forged>

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 02:36 PM PST

    Welcome to Dream Forged!!

    Looking for players that want to build a game community around Pantheon while we play other MMO's / games in general!

    Currently looking for people who want to play

    EQ, WOW, WOW Classic, Rust, Counterstrike

    if you have a group of friends and play one of these games or have other games in mind please join the discord and help support us! Looking to make new friends or want a fun place to enjoy games in? We are for you! I am also looking for mods and community managers!

    Discord: https://discord.gg/XCHkPp

    submitted by /u/vahler
    [link] [comments]

    Fastest way I can pl fresh characters on live?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:16 AM PST

    I haven't played live in a very long time. On FV server, I have 100-105 SK, DRU, ENCH, WIZ, RNG, SHM to work with.

    I like to 6-box. My goal is to PL 5-6 new characters from level 1.

    What are some efficient options / routes to get the new guys up and running?

    I vaguely recall there was some task add method to get you high enough to group with any level but I forget all the details.

    Sidenote: I know I want WAR, CLR, BRD in my final comp. Last 3 I tend to change my mind a lot: SHM, ZRK, ZRK ZRK x3 MNK, X, X WIZ, MAG, X X, X, X?

    I'd take any suggestions on group comps from those more familiar with the current game.

    submitted by /u/futurepat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment